• Page:

TOPIC: 1999 Volvo V70XC No Reverse Gear

1999 Volvo V70XC No Reverse Gear 1 week 13 hours ago #3628

• VolvoMan00
  • VolvoMan00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1999 Volvo V70XC that has no power in reverse. All other gears shift fine and work, except the reverse. It makes an audible clunk only when shifting into reverse and moves for a second, but then no power. The AFT fluid level is slightly above min and is a light brown (close to the color of a cardboard box) and smells like burnt paper. No metallic specs in the fluid though. Also there are no check engine codes or any flashing arrows signifying a transmission problem. Kind of a loaded question, but what would you all suspect is the issue, and how should I remedy it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 Volvo V70XC No Reverse Gear 6 days 5 hours ago #3629

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 109

VolvoMan00 wrote: I have a 1999 Volvo V70XC that has no power in reverse. All other gears shift fine and work, except the reverse. It makes an audible clunk only when shifting into reverse and moves for a second, but then no power. The AFT fluid level is slightly above min and is a light brown (close to the color of a cardboard box) and smells like burnt paper. No metallic specs in the fluid though. Also there are no check engine codes or any flashing arrows signifying a transmission problem. Kind of a loaded question, but what would you all suspect is the issue, and how should I remedy it?

The issue appears to be a transmission in need of a full service.

First confirm that the reversing lights are illuminated when the trans is in "R" with engine running. If not adjust the shift linkage.

The car will need a trans flush then the full service as per the Volvo Service Schedule for your year/model.

Be sure to refill the trans with the Volvo-specific fluid as anything else will cause headaches down the road.

Use Volvo OEM parts when putting all back in place.

It is possible that the trans may need internal adjustments and/or parts replaced.

A Volvo dealer may quote you a rather giahugic number to do all the work. A reliable and qualified independent shop may be a bit cheaper. Good luck with Tony's Garage.

Your Volvo is 30 years young. If the trans fix is high-dollar you may wish to skip the fix and just remember to always park facing a clear forward escape path.

George Dill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:

Latest Classifieds