Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Oct 2017
Well, you've probably noticed by now that things look a little different around here. You are a keen observer!

The whole site is new and that includes all of the software that drives this forum. With probably over 10,000 settings and hundreds of back-end programs trying to talk to one another, there are bound to be a few glitches that we haven't discovered yet. So, if you happen to stumble upon anything that just doesn't seem right, give us a shout and we'll try to sort it out.

Thanks for using the VCOA Forum and enjoy the new look!
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Question B18 Exhaust

B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #875

  • mrains
  • mrains's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 67
  • Thank you received: 0
Should I be considering a new/different exhaust with my rebuilt B18? What's there now is original manifold and small diameter exhaust pipe. I assume it flows okay but it's pretty rusy on the outside, though no holes.

VP sells a 2" diameter setup but I guess that bolts up to the current exhaust manifold.

I thought IPD had exhaust headers but couldn't find recently; perhaps under B20.

Anyway, thought I'd ask and see what folks recommend.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #883

  • gdill3
  • gdill3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1019
  • Karma: 11
  • Thank you received: 87

mrains wrote: Should I be considering a new/different exhaust with my rebuilt B18? What's there now is original manifold and small diameter exhaust pipe. I assume it flows okay but it's pretty rusy on the outside, though no holes.

VP sells a 2" diameter setup but I guess that bolts up to the current exhaust manifold.

I thought IPD had exhaust headers but couldn't find recently; perhaps under B20.

Anyway, thought I'd ask and see what folks recommend.

Thanks.


Looking through your threads on this '66 B18D rebuild some questions...

- are you keeping the race cam or replacing? What new cam?
- the 30-over bore may call for different needles in the SUs which may call for an exhaust upgrade (?)
- if the existing exhaust manifold has a single-outlet will you go with a '67-up dual manifold or aftermarket header? (both require a headpipe change)

George Dill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #887

  • mrains
  • mrains's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 67
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply George.
.020 overbore.
Went with a new "C" cam.
Decked the block <10 mils
Shaved 20 mils off the head.
Standard thin head gasket.
Compression will come up some but probably not tons.

I have the single outlet cast iron exhaust manifold currently.

Thoughts on which way to go? VP has a 2" 'street exhaust' or something like that but I think that just ties into the original exhaust header so I wonder how much more flow it provides.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #889

  • gdill3
  • gdill3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1019
  • Karma: 11
  • Thank you received: 87

mrains wrote: Thanks for the reply George.
.020 overbore.
Went with a new "C" cam.
Decked the block <10 mils
Shaved 20 mils off the head.
Standard thin head gasket.
Compression will come up some but probably not tons.

I have the single outlet cast iron exhaust manifold currently.

Thoughts on which way to go? VP has a 2" 'street exhaust' or something like that but I think that just ties into the original exhaust header so I wonder how much more flow it provides.


With the "C" cam and twin SUs and using the OE intake manifold source a salvage twin-outlet exhaust manifold ('67-up B18/B20 carb) mated to a new custom-made headpipe and free-flow exhaust system. A local auto exhaust-only shop can fab up the system much cheaper and better than wrestling with an aftermarket system with clamps and gaskets.

Consider an electronic ignition upgrade (Petronix?) to include Bosch Blue coil, new ignition wires and push/release starter button/switch.

This and the re-worked fuse box along with a fresh battery and cables will solve any ignition problems and make fine-tuning the engine/carbs much easier.

George Dill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #892

  • mrains
  • mrains's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 67
  • Thank you received: 0
You talked me into upgrading my igntion. I've already done the fuse box, battery and cables

Good advice on exhaust manifold. Any ideas where I could source those?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: B18 Exhaust 4 years 2 weeks ago #894

  • gdill3
  • gdill3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1019
  • Karma: 11
  • Thank you received: 87

mrains wrote: You talked me into upgrading my igntion. I've already done the fuse box, battery and cables

Good advice on exhaust manifold. Any ideas where I could source those?


tinyurl.com/mhemw76

George Dill
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.993 seconds

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.