Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust Grommet Installation 4 months 4 hours ago #4370

• Surfer1
  • Thank you received: 0
I was prepping my 68 1800 to install a new exhaust system and bang I ran into a problem so I thought I would ask what the best way is to get those cranky round rubber grommets into the exhaust hangers. I have tried great rubber lube and hot water so far, to no avail. Maybe there is a special tool that I am not locating anywhere. Thanks for your response.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust Grommet Installation 3 months 4 weeks ago #4371

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

I was prepping my 68 1800 to install a new exhaust system and bang I ran into a problem so I thought I would ask what the best way is to get those cranky round rubber grommets into the exhaust hangers. I have tried great rubber lube and hot water so far, to no avail. Maybe there is a special tool that I am not locating anywhere. Thanks for your response.

Welcome back to the Forum, Mark.

Those round robber bushes come in three versions one unique to the front hanger mount and two versions for the back hanger...

www.skandix.de/en/installationpictures/Volvo-P1800/Exhaust-system/1030374/2000454/

Once you confirm that your bushes on-hand are correct for the positions shown the installation of same is made less difficult if the metal hanger bracket is clamped in a vise.

We had a good crowd for our Volvo get-together in Little River-Academy back in October 2021 - is your 1800 roadworthy?

BTW, did you sort out the OD switch controls and add an inside rear-view mirror not on the dash?

Thanks.

George Dill

www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/exhaust/assembly-parts/rubber-mount-silencer/1022692/

www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/exhaust/assembly-parts/rubber-mount-silencer/1030374/

www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/exhaust/assembly-parts/mounting-kit-exhaust-system/497/

Last edit: by gdill3.

Exhaust Grommet Installation 3 months 4 weeks ago #4372

• Surfer1
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks George. I kept working on them yesterday and wound up victorious. The two smaller bushings were quite easy once properly lubed up and placed in really hot water. But the large circular rubber bushing at the rear of the car required several trips to the hot water and lots of rubber lube but if finally gave in to my will---thankfully. The large bushing also requires lots of hand and especially thumb strength and the use of plastic interior tools. Yes the 1800 is looking good now after throwing the entire VP catalog at it recently. It's also road worthy but I'm nervous about driving it near the insane drivers around here. You can see the 1800 and my 66 210 pictured in the "Drive Your Volvo" section of the VSA magazine this month. My daughter is at the wheel of the 1800 and I'm standing next to the 210.

• Page: