Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Oct 2017
Well, you've probably noticed by now that things look a little different around here. You are a keen observer!

The whole site is new and that includes all of the software that drives this forum. With probably over 10,000 settings and hundreds of back-end programs trying to talk to one another, there are bound to be a few glitches that we haven't discovered yet. So, if you happen to stumble upon anything that just doesn't seem right, give us a shout and we'll try to sort it out.

Thanks for using the VCOA Forum and enjoy the new look!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question Alternator conversion

Alternator conversion 5 years 11 months ago #179

• boouuks
  • boouuks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1962 Volvo PV544 with a B18 engine. My generator does not "gen". Instead of rebuilding the generator, I thought it would be a good time to convert to an alternator. I think this is a fairly simple thing to do except that the mount might be an issue. Anybody got advice on which alternator to use? Surely this have been done many times by Volvo lovers like me. All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Alternator conversion 5 years 11 months ago #180

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 87

boouuks wrote: I have a 1962 Volvo PV544 with a B18 engine. My generator does not "gen". Instead of rebuilding the generator, I thought it would be a good time to convert to an alternator. I think this is a fairly simple thing to do except that the mount might be an issue. Anybody got advice on which alternator to use? Surely this have been done many times by Volvo lovers like me. All help is appreciated.
Thanks

Is your PV 12v from the factory?

Lotsa options for converting to an alternator.

Me? I always just fixed the generator which was good for another five+ years.

Exact-fit brackets are available for the conversion as are bolt-up alternator kits that come with the correct pulley and offset.

Any welder worth his/her salt can fab up brackets and modify the existing generator mount to accomodate the alternator of your choice.

Below are a brazzilion links on the subject plus tons of other stuff applicable to your B18 and drivetrain.

George Dill

www.vclassics.com/archive/delco.htm

www.vclassics.com/archive/index.html

www.vclassics.com/contents.htm

www.sw-em.com/

www.sw-em.com/swemkitspix.htm#alternator upgrade kit

www.sw-em.com/swemkits.htm

www.sw-em.com/techarticles.htm

www.sw-em.com/

volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php

end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.