Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

AW70 and Aw71 transmission bodies 1 year 6 months ago #4079

• Tarkato
  • Thank you received: 0
Is it possible to build an aw71 in a aw70 housing?
I've got a 544 no drive train and a B230f engine with an Aw70 transmission available to me. I was thinking of converting to B230ft. was wondering if I can convert the transmission
to the heavier Aw71? I'm going to make new motor mounts and stand the engine staraight up and modify the bell housing to rotate the tranny back level.
I also have a 92 245 rear axel with disc brakes and a limited slip differential front disc brake conversion foman amazon.
I'm planning on producing around 250hp and understand the aw71 with valve body mods should hold up in a daily driver occasional romp on it.
Thnaks for any help or ideas you can give me this is my first Volvo not my first custom build
Jim aka Tarkato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AW70 and Aw71 transmission bodies 1 year 5 months ago #4092

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

Is it possible to build an aw71 in a aw70 housing?
I've got a 544 no drive train and a B230f engine with an Aw70 transmission available to me. I was thinking of converting to B230ft. was wondering if I can convert the transmission
to the heavier Aw71? I'm going to make new motor mounts and stand the engine staraight up and modify the bell housing to rotate the tranny back level.
I also have a 92 245 rear axel with disc brakes and a limited slip differential front disc brake conversion foman amazon.
I'm planning on producing around 250hp and understand the aw71 with valve body mods should hold up in a daily driver occasional romp on it.
Thnaks for any help or ideas you can give me this is my first Volvo not my first custom build
Jim aka Tarkato

Yes, the 70/71 cases are the same. Is your existing AW70 a lockup?

Also, did you find those "straight" motor mounts?

Thanks.

George Dill

AW70 and Aw71 transmission bodies 1 year 5 months ago #4093

• Tarkato
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi George
Thank yoadu for your reply.It's funny you replied today. I woke up this morning and had the thought if no one replies to my question I would reach out to you directly. I have read hundreds of these forum topics in the last several months and noticed you seem to be the most knowlegable person to respond. Thank you for your wealth of information and how freely you share it.
To answer your questions I'm not sure about the lockup The tranny I'm looking at came out of a 92 245. I have been trying to research volvo transmissions without a great deal of success.
I don't have any motormounts yet I was thinking I would fabricate the engine side. I haven't located anyone who sells them. I do have access to all kinds of welding and fabrication equipment.I'm not a master at any of these things. the good news is, not knowing what I was doing or what it would require has never kept me from getting a job done well.
Thanks Jim

• Page:

Latest Classifieds