Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic Climate Cointrol System Fault Indication 5 years 8 months ago #2600

• dhhudson
  • Thank you received: 0
I am slowly working my way through my 760 wagon's systems, and am now head to head with a fault indicator in my ECC. Often, when I start the car in the morning, the ECC will give an error warning as indicated by the flashing of the AC push button. Although the manual says that, "the system will compensate by substituting a standard value stored in the memory," the light continues to flash (and the fan fails to operate). Occasionally, this is corrected simply by restarting the engine, but more often the fault does not reset and the use of the blower fan is curtailed.

I haven't found any material regarding this issue in any of my resources. The owner's manual states that I should contact an authorized Volvo dealer for service. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks,

David

1988 760 TurboIntercooler Wagon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic Climate Cointrol System Fault Indication 5 years 8 months ago #2601

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

I am slowly working my way through my 760 wagon's systems, and am now head to head with a fault indicator in my ECC. Often, when I start the car in the morning, the ECC will give an error warning as indicated by the flashing of the AC push button. Although the manual says that, "the system will compensate by substituting a standard value stored in the memory," the light continues to flash (and the fan fails to operate). Occasionally, this is corrected simply by restarting the engine, but more often the fault does not reset and the use of the blower fan is curtailed.

I haven't found any material regarding this issue in any of my resources. The owner's manual states that I should contact an authorized Volvo dealer for service. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks,

David

1988 760 TurboIntercooler Wagon

"...Has anyone else come across this issue?..."

Yes, indeed - you and about a brazillion other 700/900 Volvo owners driving cars with electronic climate control in model years 1988 - 1996.

The most common failure is described as "Fan motor excessive starting current" and the main culprits involved are the blower motor resistor, faulty resistor pack (MFA module/control unit) and faulty/failed electrical connections in the ECC system.

It may appear that I know of what I speak but that is indeed not so (a common situation).

With further ado I will share the links (below) which gave me all this "wisdom".

BTW, the fan motor resistor for your 760 is Volvo Part Number 1365678 and is unobtainium new.

Oh, I just remembered - did you get the handbrake fixed and have you chosen which engine oil to use in the 760?

Thanks.

George Dill

---
Fan motor resistor...

tinyurl.com/jpg7k3y

Related discussion on the Brickboard...

www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1604200&show_all=1

Similar discussion but site is a slow-loader...

volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-260-760-960-28/climate-control-diagnostic-codes-74722/

---

Electronic Climate Cointrol System Fault Indication 5 years 8 months ago #2604

• dhhudson
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi George,

I owe you a beer... I am really grateful for how closely you monitor this site, and for the depth of your knowledge. Your thoughts about the blower motor are right along my own. I have had noticeable electrical noise in my radio since I was owned by this car, and have traced it all back to the blower motor. When I start the car, if the blower is off, the AC button/warning light remains off until I turn on the fan. The fan noise is most noticeable when the fan is on low speeds, diminishing as the fan is turned up. The upshot is that the fan motor is already on its way out. I assume the blower motor resistor is integral to the motor itself, but finding the resistor pack might be a trick. But I have time.

So far as the parking brake challenge goes, that took a back seat to putting a new roof on my house. I live in Seattle, and I just couldn't convince my wife that she'd sleep perfectly comfortable in the Volvo when it rains.

I'll tell you about testing the emergency brake on a dock on San Francisco Bay when I had the epiphany that the city's skyline might be the last thing I ever see. That project went on hold that day. We'll do that over that beer.

I opted for the Shell Rotella 15w-40 Heavy Duty Diesel due to it being readily available. I have run from Seattle to San Francisco in August and am preparing for the run back home for the holidays. Coming down in August, the beast turned 200,000 miles, and I see no reason to doubt that she'll make it to 300,000 in twenty years or so.

I'll swap out the blower motor and let you know how it turns out. Again, thank you for all or your assistance.

David

• Page:

Latest Classifieds