Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Repair garages north of Boston for 1997 850 6 months 5 days ago #4335

• Pittstop850
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. My sister and I have owned a 1997 Volvo 850 since February 2007. We love the car and really want to keep it. Does anyone out there know of any garages north of Boston willing to diagnose problems and find parts for an older Volvo? Our last mechanic informed us that he cannot repair our car because he is unable to get the parts. Any thoughts? It would be terrific to save a wonderful 850. It does not have any body rot and has been a war horse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repair garages north of Boston for 1997 850 6 months 4 days ago #4336

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

Hi. My sister and I have owned a 1997 Volvo 850 since February 2007. We love the car and really want to keep it. Does anyone out there know of any garages north of Boston willing to diagnose problems and find parts for an older Volvo? Our last mechanic informed us that he cannot repair our car because he is unable to get the parts. Any thoughts? It would be terrific to save a wonderful 850. It does not have any body rot and has been a war horse.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your Faithful Sweed is Volvo's early attempt at front-wheel-drive and is indeed a "war horse" when it comes to durability, safety and comfort. And like all old soldiers this model Volvo needs replacements parts many being made from "Unobtainium".

An example might be a rebuilt ABS controller module for over $$$$ if available.

Rather than searching for a Volvo-specific auto repair garage you might consider re-connecting with a trusted facility and assure them that you will locate and provide any needed parts if they will agree to provide the Volvo Part Numbers.

Armed with those numbers all you need then is to post them in a reply to this thread and we will locate the items.

Be forewarned - some parts are very expensive but since you have such a firm bond with this Volvo what's a few dollars here and a few more there?

Let us know your direction on this as there is a Volvo dealer up in New Hampshire that may fit the bill.

Thanks.

George Dill

Last edit: by gdill3. Reason: fix

Repair garages north of Boston for 1997 850 6 months 3 days ago #4339

• Pittstop850
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, George. Thanks so much for responding in a timely fashion. I believe the issue with our 1997 Volvo 850 is minor but we do not want to begin replacing parts until it is properly diagnosed. So, we need to do a bit more homework and make a serious decision on how to proceed. Our current garage does not want to bend over backwards to find parts and there is a wonderful European mechanic who has worked on it and knows the car. I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do. Again, thank you.

Best regards,

Pam

• Page: