Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2021 XC60 parking brake - big design flaw?!? 1 year 2 weeks ago #4200

• cmarker
  • Thank you received: 0
My 2021 XC60 had to be towed last Friday (with just 2,933 miles). The parking brake - which I have never used, and hadn't deployed in this case - was stuck on. The rear wheels were completely locked, so the car was literally dragged onto the wrecker. The brake indicator light on the dash was lit, along with a warning light advising that I contact the dealer immediately for brake service. The parking brake is controlled by a switch in the center console. Before calling Volvo service, I tried pressing the parking brake button down, but it appeared to already be in the down/off position. I then raised it with the intention of depressing it to see if the parking brake would "unstick", at which point it remained stuck in the full "up/on" position.
The service tech reports the problem was caused by a "grain of sand" stuck under the parking brake button! This is alarming, because I keep the interior very clean; I don't have kids or pets, and I haven't had any dirty/gritty cargo in the car.. Have there been other reports of this problem?
Also, we've bought 3 new Volvos in the past 15 years, but this was our first experience with Volvo On Call. Although I requested the vehicle be taken to the closest Volvo dealer, the VOC rep wouldn't contact a tow company until I located a credit card and paid $4/mile beyond 25 miles. Is "towing overage" a benefit of VCOA membership? (i.e., can I be reimbursed for that cost, or can I have it waived in the future if I'm a VCOA member?
2021 Volvo XC60 T6
2016 Volvo S60 T5
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: