Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some English guy over the pond 2 months 3 days ago #4397

• Steveuk
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, My first venture into Volvo was about 2014. My main hobby at the time was Radio Control gliders, and because madness grabbed me, in 2011 I began the build of a scale vintage glider with a near 14 foot wingspan. (For the record I completed it last year).. As I knew this would need some serious space to transport it, I knew something Swedish would be near the top of my choices. I'm no stranger to Swedish cars, having had three Saabs in the past, two 9000's (Including a very rare 2.0 non Catalytic Sedan Carlsson) and a GM stewarded 9/3 (The rot set in at that point). As I wasn't going to even look at a station wagon 9/5, the Volvo V70 really was my only sensible option. My knowledge was limited to almost zero, friends I asked sucked in their teeth and universally said 'That will cost a fortune to keep on the road, don't do it!' But being the obstinate type I took the train to look at a couple an hour's ride from me: One a silver autobox (I think 2003) with rear facing seats in the cargo area, and a 2002 2.4 pale metallic blue one with a manual box and nearly 100000 miles. I took it for a drive and knew it was this one. It left my hands in 2016 at 135000 to a close friend with oil changes every 5000 miles, new handbrake cables and a replaced drop link (Sway bar)..She had it until over 200000 a worn out clutch was prohibitively expensive for her to replace; But she didn't complain, she had the car for free!
I moved to the USA to live with my wife later that year and after passing my US driving exam in 2019 I really wanted another V70 (Glider transport, remember? It had come with me). The search to my dismay was quite fruitless to begin with, and I really thought I'd not find one. Eventually I did at a car dealer not too far from where we lived. 2004, 2.5t Dark metallic gray (Titanium) with 'only' 139000 miles and two previous owners. I negotiated a new radiator with the dealer and a few days later drove it away. Since then I've put in new tailgate struts (Easyish job), cured a misfire with new vac hoses, changed the spark plugs, fitted roof rails, installed the 12V outlet in the cargo area and carried on the regime of changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles, I changed two front wheel bearings in the hunt for a bearing whine, later traced to a rear wheel bearing by an independent Volvo workshop, much to my embarrassment. I've swapped the radio/cassette head unit for a screen type one. I have grown to like this one now, I was comparing it to the 2.4 previously and preferred that one as a drivers car. but this one has grown on me. It never gets thrashed but will 'make progress' as and when required. I just love how it's thought out. The way the rear seats drop flat when the squabs are removed, the way the doors shut like a bank vault. It isn't perfect, the rear leg room isn't very good, but we don't have anyone in the back so it's not a problem. I know it's expediency but there are areas in the engine bay that are a royal PIA to access, the transmission dipstick being just one. The build quality is fantastic, the ride is surface dependent and can be a bit bumpy, but the comfort within is supreme. Although, my wife says it isn't as comfortable for her as the Nissan Altima she drives, I have to say that has very good seats..BUT, there's 14 plus years between the two. The V70 runs on 91 octane and gives away nearly 10 mpg to the Nissan. Anyway, I've gone on a bit!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:

Latest Classifieds