Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cold cranking cylinder compression 5 months 2 weeks ago #4360

• Jerzyski
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone know what the COLD cranking compression should be for a 1973 1800ES with the B20F engine? I just tested mine cold (still have to clean the fuel system so don't want to do a hot test). All four cylinders were at 120PSI when cold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cold cranking cylinder compression 5 months 2 weeks ago #4361

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

Anyone know what the COLD cranking compression should be for a 1973 1800ES with the B20F engine? I just tested mine cold (still have to clean the fuel system so don't want to do a hot test). All four cylinders were at 120PSI when cold.

The following discussion includes input from those that have extensive hands-on knowledge of the Volvo red engines...

www.swedespeed.com/threads/compression-question-needed.221027/

That your ES cylinder cold compression is uniform bodes well for the engine's health.

Have you done a leak-down test on this motor?

Thanks.

George Dill

PS: Have you finished the floors?

Cold cranking cylinder compression 5 months 2 weeks ago #4363

• Jerzyski
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the input George, yes I was happy to see that the results across the cylinders were that good. I'm at 3600ft above sea level and according to one of the replies in the previous forum that definitely means a lower compression reading.
The floors are done and turned out great, also installed a new (used) heater box, cleaned the distributor and converted to electronic ignition. Along with some other smaller issues (repairs) I've been busy. Car runs now but is a bit "lumpy" so that's my next task, figure out why... I'm in the process of replacing all the vacuum lines and going to remove ,clean and seal the gas tank next. Seems like the fuel pressure is a bit high (32-34psi) for some reason and that may be my problem? (delivering too much gas). Anyway I found a local guy that's been restoring Volvos for the last 40yrs and he's going to drop by my place for an afternoon to help set up the car so that it runs smoother.

• Page: