Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with a 122S ignition issue 6 months 2 weeks ago #4332

• Thank you received: 0
Hello All,
New member here with a 1968 122S. I bought the car a few years ago in a haze of nostalgia (My family had one long ago), thinking it would be a fun project/Sunday driver. Fast forward and unfortunately I just don't have any time for it, and it deserves to be enjoyed by someone who appreciates it. It's in good shape, but I made the mistake of trying to replace the distributor with electronic ignition and now I can't get it to start. I returned to normal distributor and rotor, checked the gaps, etc. but it just won't fire. I've done research and found the sw-em site with a long and thorough explanation of the distinctive Bosch "Armored" ignition cable and have tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but with no luck.
None of the mechanics in my neck of the woods - Southside Virginia - wants to mess around with my old, funky, foreign car. Does anyone on the forum know of a good, reputable mechanic or shop in the Raleigh toRichmond area that they could recommend?
Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with a 122S ignition issue 6 months 2 weeks ago #4333

• gdill3
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136

Hello All,
New member here with a 1968 122S. I bought the car a few years ago in a haze of nostalgia (My family had one long ago), thinking it would be a fun project/Sunday driver. Fast forward and unfortunately I just don't have any time for it, and it deserves to be enjoyed by someone who appreciates it. It's in good shape, but I made the mistake of trying to replace the distributor with electronic ignition and now I can't get it to start. I returned to normal distributor and rotor, checked the gaps, etc. but it just won't fire. I've done research and found the sw-em site with a long and thorough explanation of the distinctive Bosch "Armored" ignition cable and have tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but with no luck.
None of the mechanics in my neck of the woods - Southside Virginia - wants to mess around with my old, funky, foreign car. Does anyone on the forum know of a good, reputable mechanic or shop in the Raleigh toRichmond area that they could recommend?
Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

These folks have been fixing Volvos since 1969...

importautohaus.com/pages/import-autohaus-locations.php

Another option might be to advertise your Amazon for sale as-is given that a goodly number of Volvo Lovers would jump at the opportunity to get the car on the road.

My penchant for asking too many dumb questions remains unbridled so here goes...

Was the car running OK before you installed the electronic ignition?

Thanks.

George Dill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: